Westland was the first meeting west of the Allegheny Mountains. It was formed in 1781 by Friends who were members of Hopewell MM in Virginia, and for its first two years it was called "the meeting in the Redstone Settlement." The name "Westland" was chosen when the PM was granted in 1782. A meeting house was built c. 1782 that burned in 1785. A 1-story stone meeting house reflecting the Quaker Plan was built in 1785. This meeting house was characterized by its corner chimneys.