Somerset Monthly Meeting was established in 1820 and was renamed Chestnut Ridge Monthly Meeting in 1992.
In the 19th century, Somerset MM was comprised of three preparative meetings in southwestern Belmont County: Somerset (in the village of Somerton), Ridge, and Sunbury (in Monroe County). Ridge was the surviving PM after the Civil War.
Around 1991, a sign was placed on Route 800 south of Barnesville that directed people to the meeting house. The sign read "Somerset" on one side and "Ridge" on the other. The following year, the name of the MM was changed to eliminate the double naming convention.